Sunday, March 13, 2011

another disclaimer--

Lately I find that I really love swearing.


Pros:

-It's a way to express anger that doesn't actually hurt people. One might argue this point--see below.

-It's a way to express anger that doesn't train people towards physical release, the way (for instance) violence against objects does.

-It's convenient, eloquent shorthand about the fact one is involved with the dark-and-gritty side of life in some way.

-God said not to.



Cons:

-The communication aspects are usually imprecise. How seriously the audience will take it varies a lot by background and personal context. I think many people who insist on taking swearing seriously (and punishing it socially) are practicing a kind of class discrimination as well, as the words have a different meaning in working class communities where they are used constantly than they do in middle/upper class communities where they're seldom or never used.

-Some say cussing liberally in everyday life gets rid of a useful escalation phase in conflict which can offer a chance to stave off violence. This has not been my experience.

-The other argument: it does actually hurt people. If "this is the most hurtful and extreme thing I could say" is what it means, I can see that. I'd prefer that in order to say the most hurtful and extreme thing they possibly could, people should have to exercise a little intelligence and creativity. I can see that leaving this shorthand intact would be helpful to inarticulate people, in situations where they see verbal and physical violence as their only options. But--there's a victim-blamey undertone in the idea that I ought to modify my language so that someone else can feel better about not hitting me, and that pisses me off.



Thoughts, anybody? I'd really like to hear arguments on this. Not that I will, but I take a perverse masochistic pleasure in asking anyway.

9 comments:

___________________________ said...

Note: "Saying not that I will" does indicate you expecting a lack of argument. Just to make sure you don't try to debate me on this.

___________________________ said...

I swore I posted something....

Day said...

. . .

___________________________ said...

What???? I am pretty sure I posted an argument. Did it disappear? Or did it never exist?

natalie said...

Your last point is interesting. In some contexts, a well-crafted, intelligent insult is more hurtful than simple curse words.

But sometimes, "Fuck you" can cut pretty deeply.

natalie said...

Oh, and I love really love swearing. One friend suggested I start referring to my cats as "little fuckers", and I have to say it's quite enjoyable. :) Because they totally are.

SAC said...

If it was indiscriminate discrimination against swearing, that would be one thing. If, however (as with many other things) one tailor's one willingness to put up with dialect to the likelihood that the other person is able to adapt to one's own dialect, then it might not necessarily constitute discrimination. Or at least not the same kind.

Day said...

What determines who ought to adapt to who?

Sarah Allen said...

Not sure I have any thoughts to add, just wanted to say I thought this post was hilarious and entertaining :) Good stuff.

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)