Tuesday, March 02, 2010

I think it's time for some good old-timey emorific confessional. Also, I'll be returning to earlier allusions, which would give me some kind of literary dignity and structure if I weren't so half-hearted about it.

Ready?

1) At the moment, I'm probably more of a feminist than a Marxist. Don't get me wrong; if I could choose to flip a magical switch and end gender oppression or end class oppression, I would end class oppression--hands down, no questions asked. . . but it would be like shooting myself in an artery. Possibly I just lack discipline, but I find it really hard to think about class struggle when a)I never feel safe, and b)I'm not sure that class struggle can resolve a lot of the sexist-oppression-related problems I see going on around me, and c) a lot of the guys involved in this treat me, and other women, poorly.

2) I have no idea how to modulate my responsiveness to the opinions of others. Witness the attention-whoring currently in progress.

3) As we speak, I am halfway through a volunteer task I'm undertaking for the dems in Utah county. . . yes, I know. The anarchists may now proceed to throw their tomatoes. You see, it's nice to interact with non-radicalized people who care enough to do something, and I'm interested in the campaign experience. Also, if they manage do accomplish anything about the local air quality, it will have been more than worth it.

Actually, I think I might be an anarchist. . but that's a story for another day.



You didn't think this new blog style meant I was going to avoid politics entirely, did you? How silly.

2 comments:

___________________________ said...

1) Well, that makes sense. Feminism is a category of thought that is for better relations between men and women. Marxism is a relation to an intellectual grouping, one that has certain perspectives, but still, not the conclusion itself.

3) Well, if we judge things by their consequences, then I would have to say that your actions probably won't impact a darn thing.

Actually I like digressing to ideas. Now, if your new blog meant becoming a neo-nazi... well..... that'd be interesting to read.

Day said...

I think Marxism is more of a conclusion than feminism is. Marxism offers a theoretical, and to significant extent also a practical program; feminism can't even properly decide what it is. You sort of have to take averages of the different branches of it.

If you want neo-nazis, go to phora or stormfront. *shivers* :/