Wednesday, March 03, 2010

A long time ago, a friend of mine pointed out something really insightful; you don't want to be part of the noise. Noise is all of that stuff that was good enough to get published, yet isn't actually good--it's just more words. We have a lot of words. In fact, we have a lot of spectacular words that we're always claiming we don't have enough time to read, and few of us ever do. It makes sense to be worried about contributing to the over-all crappiness of the literary landscape.

I've been thinking a lot about the decision to go to every-day posts. It necessarily lowers the bar for content, and I'm sure looses a lot of my audience. However, the new approach is to write a lot about the things that are important to me--not the things I think ought to be important to me--and in the long run this is bound to pay out.

Don't get me wrong; I'd never want to see a book printed that wasn't worth the paper, and I place a high value on trees. However, to do anything well, you've got to do it badly. Sometimes progress is worth the noise.

3 comments:

___________________________ said...

I hate trees.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0150.html

I also read too many webcomics.

Maybe if you write a good book though, then it will kill many many trees! Loads of them!

SAC said...

Amen, sister!

N said...

Yes.