Saturday, April 10, 2010

Ah, so, sorry for missing. As I've mentioned before, I don't know who exactly who has been reading this (other than some of you--I've been thrilled to discover that so much of my audience is composed of intelligent and well-read people who I like). However, I do appreciate you all, a lot--so thank you for reading, and I shall try to be more faithful.


It's been an excruciatingly busy few days with two standout awesome events. One of them isn't bloggable, and the other was the undergraduate philosophy conference.

I've never experienced that kind of intellectual community; it's such a more egalitarian format than the classroom. It was small and simple, 20 or 30 people in a room*--just talking and listening about really interesting ideas.

I went for extra credit, expecting something sub-par, but it wasn't. Sure, some of the papers were really basic; some of them didn't say anything interesting. For the most part, though, it was fantastic. There was an understanding, this thing that sets it apart from terrible campfire or internet philosophy: we are going to read the old books. We are going to know if someone has had this idea before, and had it better. We are going to build on and challenge this tradition.



*A really awesome room, which can't have hurt. Kudos to whoever designed the new library.

No comments: